Kobler condemns recent attacks in Iraq18/08/2012 17:59
ERBIL, Aug. 18 (AKnews) - The special representative of the secretary general of the United Nations in Iraq Martin Kobler has condemned the attacks that occurred on Thursday in different parts of the country.
Kobler said in a press release issued by his press office: "I was shocked by the series of heinous attacks that targeted different parts of the country throughout the day.
“These attacks came at a time the Iraqis were looking to enjoy their Eid with security and safety after the end of Ramadan, and I strongly condemn these attacks that violate the spirit of peace associated with the most sacred month among the Muslims."
Kobler expressed his sincere condolences to the bereaved families and wished a recovery for the injured persons.
Iraqi police said earlier on Friday that 20 soldiers were killed and wounded in an armed attack carried out by unknown assailants on two checkpoints in the Sunni-majority Mshahda area north of Baghdad.
Two elements of the Iraqi army were killed yesterday and four others were wounded when a homemade bomb exploded after being planted on the side of the main road west Baghdad.
Tens of civilians were killed by a car bomb in the Shiite-majority Husseiniya area north of Baghdad yesterday, and tens of victims were killed when four car bombs exploded in Kirkuk. There were also other attacks in Salahaddin, Diyala and Nineveh.
By Salam al-Baghdadi